Monday 15 October 2012

Why do we shed tears when we cry?

One trait of us humans is that we cry, an emotional cry, along with shedding tears. Crying helps us to deal with the emotional and mental pain we feel. Feeling sad is understandable as sadness is an emotion that we all might feel from time to time but why do we shed this watery liquid along when we are sad?



 No other animal or mammal specifically show this behavior to convey their sadness and yet we do it very instinctively. In the 1998 science fiction movie, Soldier, Sgt Todd is a soldier trained from infancy to not show any emotions. All he knows is aggression and fighting on command. During the course of the movie, he finds real human company and kindness but due to his non-social skills as well as an unfortunate misunderstanding, he is asked to leave from their establishment. There is a scene after this when Todd is sitting alone, staring into space and then suddenly tears start flowing from his eyes. He touches them and is surprised.



Sometimes tears surprise me just like that. Okay I am sad but I guess not at the level where I would cry and yet when tears start flowing, I actually become sad. It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy. And then after a good cry, the world seems like a better place. I wonder what is the neuro-scientific basis for that ? why we cry? and why crying makes us feel better? why we shed tears which makes our pain apparent? and tears are like water, good that they aren't colored otherwise they would have streaked our faces. Tears are colorless but they are somehow plainly visible.

Some theory says that crying is a response towards sadness which makes others aware of our pain - consequently it helps an individual to get help and further leads to bonding. This behavior could be easily seen in the case of babies - though their crying is mostly more sound, less tears. But yes, unless babies cry- their care takers might not know that they are hungry or they need a change of diaper.



Crying can't be bad, it just makes other people around uncomfortable and my personal opinion is that is why it is discouraged. But it makes the individual feel so much better. It reminds me of a poem by Alfred Tennyson, Home they brought her warrior dead.

HOME they brought her warrior dead:
  She nor swooned, nor uttered cry:
All her maidens, watching, said,
  ‘She must weep or she will die.’
Then they praised him, soft and low,       
  Called him worthy to be loved,
Truest friend and noblest foe;
  Yet she neither spoke nor moved.
Stole a maiden from her place,
  Lightly to the warrior stepped,       
Took the face-cloth from the face;
  Yet she neither moved nor wept.
Rose a nurse of ninety years,
  Set his child upon her knee—
Like summer tempest came her tears—       
  ‘Sweet my child, I live for thee.’



The line to be noticed here is, 'She must weep or she will die'. The importance of weeping has been well characterized since the olden times. Life begins by crying - how can crying be bad then?

So cry, cry like a baby. Reminded me of Kasey Chamber's song of the same title. Just for the fun of it, here are the lyrics :)

Cry like a baby

Well I never lived through the great depression
somethimes I feel as though I did
And I don't have answers for every single question
But that's OK 'cos I'm just a kid

Well I've seen pictures of my mother
When she looked exactly like me
And I've seen all my friends running for cover
Running from something they can't see

And it's not easy to get handle on my life
but I have tried it time and time again

But I still cry just like a baby
And I answer back to feel a little free
And I still fly even though I'm gonna fall
But I'm too far to let it get to me

Well I'm not much like my generation
Their music only hurts my ears
And I don't hide my pain to save my reputation
It's too hard to keep up with these years

And it's not easy to a habit disappear
But I have tried it time and time again




No comments:

Post a Comment